KFTC Blog

Members speak out for economic justice legislation

Posted by: Kentuckians For The Commonwealth on March 4, 2015

KFTC members have been active in Frankfort this week, supporting several economic justice bills as the session draws to a close. House Bill 374, which closes corporate tax loopholes to fund a state Earned Income Tax Credit, received a hearing in committee yesterday, and CKY member Jesus Gonzalez testified in support of the EITC. Here is Jesus's testimony:

"I’m a single father. I work full-time. This policy will help people like me, parents who are working to support our kids. Parents who go days without eating breakfast and lunch because we can only afford one meal a day for ourselves."

This bill wouldn’t fix everything, but it would help. Two of my tires are about to pop, and I can’t afford to get new ones. It’s not safe to drive my child with tires like that, but those are the choices I have to make. A bill like this would help me buy safe tires on the car. It would help people who are in situations like mine.

I urge you to vote on this bill and pass it out of this committee today.

I want to add one more thing. My family is from Cuba, so I recognize the privilege that I have in being able to address the committee, and participate in our government in this way. But because of my family’s background, I also recognize how important it is to speak up and try to fix things that are unfair. I think that government is stronger when we all participate in it.

Thank you."

Despite lots of supportive comments from committee members, the comittee didn't have an opportunity to vote on the bill. Jesus's testimony, though, lifted up the importance of the voices of Kentuckians getting heard in our legislative process. One legislator came up to Jesus afterward and said, "I want to thank you. This is an issue I have always been against, and was not going to support. Your testimony has opened my eyes, and made me realize this is something we may need."

William and Watkins 2Members returned to Frankfort today, braving the threat of an ice storm, to lift their voices again for the renters' protections of URLTA (HB 368) and raising Kentucky's minimum wage (House Bill 2, which is still possible for the Senate to pass). This is the first year URLTA has been introduced, and we used the day to focus on legislators in more rural areas of Kentucky where renters are more vulnerable because their communities haven't adopted the protections in URLTA, building up the base of its support.

Maya Williamson, a first-time lobbyist from Jefferson County, said of the day, "It made me feel like if we keep at this long enough, we can really make a difference."

0 comments view comments

Shelby Co. chapter, NAACP settle down to soul food and celebrate Black History Month

Posted by: Shane Ashford on March 4, 2015

Shelby County chapter members enjoyed a night of soul food and fellowship this past Friday. The spread ran the gamut: cornbread, corn chowder, breaded and fried catfish, fried chicken, barbecue ribs, coleslaw, beans, kale, peach cobbler, you name it! It was as down-home as you could get. The Shelby County chapter of the NAACP provided the tasty provisions while the KFTC chapter provided the entertainment. It came in the form of a very enthusiastic and knowledgeable presentation by local historian Diane Perrin Coon.

Let Us Vote live stream

Posted by: KFTC staff on March 3, 2015

We will be live streaming the final Senate State and Local Government Committee hearing of this legislative session tomorrow, March 4 at noon.

Voting Rights Rally Recap!

Attendees gather for the closing prayer. Special thanks to Steve Pavey for taking this photo.
Posted by: Joe Gallenstein on March 2, 2015

Last Thursday nearly 200 people gathered in the rotunda to share prayer, cheers, stories of triumph, and a call for the General Assembly to do one simple thing: "Let Us Vote".

Voting Rights Rally: Ask Senate to Let Us Vote!

Posted by: Joe Gallenstein on February 24, 2015

This Thursday (February 26th) members of Kentuckians For The Commonwealth and allies will be gathering

Citizens groups seek to ensure Kentucky officials enforce Clean Water Act (again!)

Posted by: KFTC staff on February 22, 2015

KFTC and several ally groups late Friday filed a motion to intervene in a state enforcement action against Frasure Creek Mining for violating the Clean Water Act at its coal mining operations in e

Want to know what KFTC did in 2014? Read our annual report

Posted by: KFTC Staff on February 18, 2015

KFTC members had a big year in 2014, and you can revisit that work through the 2014 KFTC Annual Report. It's filled with KFTC faces and tells the story of our work last year. Click here to read it online.

Vision Smoketown

Posted by: KFTC staff on February 16, 2015

Vision Smoketown began as a volunteer-based community canvassing project conceived after the Jefferson County KFTC Chapter moved its office to Louisville’s Smoketown neighborhood in July 2013. Members of the chapter’s Economic Justice Team were focusing their attention on local affordable housing issues. After moving to Smoketown, the team wanted to understand the desires and needs of Smoketown residents within the changing dynamics of Louisville.

Our health as Kentuckians is worth protecting!

Posted by: Sean Hardy on February 16, 2015

Sean Hardy is a member of the Jefferson County Chapter of KFTC's Air Quality Team. The following is the speech Sean gave at the 10th Annual I Love Mountains Day rally at the State Capitol in Frankfort. To learn more about the chapter's Air Quality Team click here or contact our Jefferson County chapter organizer Alicia Hurle at alicia@kftc.org or 502-589-3188.

Hello, my name is Sean Hardy and I have been a proud KFTC member for the last 2 years. I also am a native of West Louisville, Kentucky. The West Louisville neighborhood is one that has provided both economic empowerment and home ownership to many African Americans throughout the years.

It is also home to a conglomeration of chemical plants aptly named “Rubbertown” – referencing its WWII ties as a rubber manufacturing company.

Stand Up Sunday – Stand Up Louisville

Posted by: SCZ, Stand Up Sundays on February 16, 2015

Where are we, Louisville? How is our local narrative fitting into larger regional, statewide and national social conditions?

Louisville, like the rest of the country, has become a place with a more visible and increased militarized police presence. Less than a year ago our local media in conjunction with with many elected officials and police, used an incident with young people downtown to funnel over $200,000 into more surveillance and policing of youth of color particularly along the Waterfront and new areas of “urban” development. Young people were framed as rioting and dangerous. The damaging effects of this increase in the policing of young people can be seen in the case of the Misidentified 4, where young men from our community were brutalized and whose families have been vocal about the need for a civilian review board.

Voting Rights prayer vigils held outside Senate offices

Posted by: Beth Howard on February 16, 2015

People of faith have a long tradition of standing together against injustice. There are many passages throughout spiritual texts calling for people of faith to work for justice and fight against oppression. Also, many social justice advocates have channeled their faith when leading social change movements.

During the 2015 General Assembly, KFTC members and fellow voting rights advocates are joining together in prayer, song and testimony to put pressure on Kentucky’s Senate leadership to pass a proposed constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to nearly a quarter million Kentuckians.

Page