KFTC Blog | Kentuckians For The Commonwealth

KFTC Blog

A reflection of my first two southern Kentucky chapter meetings

Posted by: Shirlisa Arnold on December 5, 2019

I wasn't sure what to expect from my first SOKY chapter meeting. I entered the room with nervousness and excitement.

What drew me to come to the meeting was the topic of the evening "White Supremacy Culture and Symbolism" in the workplace and society as a whole. I was intrigued because in my many years of working and volunteering for different organizations, I had never heard of or witnessed any company willing to tackle such a daunting subject matter. Being a part of the African diaspora, I have definitely experienced white supremacy culture in everyday life so it was refreshing to see people who may benefit from its existence actively working on ending it.

I attended the meeting with a friend, someone to share the nerves with. We were greeted by big smiles offering comforting icebreakers and snacks. It was a more inviting situation than one might expect with such a heavy subject matter. I was impressed with the organization of the meeting, the layout of community ground rules and an agenda to keep us on track and remind us of the purpose of the meeting. My favorite part was our

micro and macro group discussions. A point was made to make sure we had equal group representation, which is an important aspect of society that I believe helps to move the needle forward. We each covered an aspect of white supremacy culture and discussed how we experience it in our own lives and ways to effectively fight it. When we came together in the end to wrap up, it was awesome to hear people's personal stories and to work as a group to identify methods to actually make a change.

I left the meeting feeling enlightened and hopeful. It actually prompted my friend to become more active in the community. It reminded both of us that great change can come from small actions, like a dozen people meeting on a Tuesday night to discuss important issues that are affecting and shaping our world. I can honestly say I can't wait for our next meeting!

An Update: I was able to attend my second meeting and it did not disappoint. It was exciting to see so many new faces this time. It reminded me how much change a small group can do and how that change can only grow the more KFTC does. Attending meetings before and after such a huge election in Kentucky, I can stand proud knowing this amazing group is responsible for the change we are seeing. It only makes since that more people feel motivated by this win to get involved. I was impressed to see that once again our meeting topic was relevant to the issues at hand. Discussing Indigenous Rights on the eve of Thanksgiving was so important. Like my first chapter meeting, I left this meeting feeling motivated and excited to see what change we make happen next.

0 comments view comments

Reflections from the first Empower Kentucky Leadership Network retreat

Posted by: Maria Truitt on November 25, 2019

To be in a room filled with so much talent and passion. Openness to have difficult conversations, and brilliance in finding solutions to heavy issues.

Y'all Fall for Justice!

Posted by: Joe Gallenstein on November 14, 2019

This Saturday the Rolling Bluegrass chapter invites you to join them in celebration of a momentous year, and to help us prepare for the coming year!

Trans Awareness Week and Trans Day of Remembrance

Posted by: Joe Gallenstein on November 14, 2019

Every year, during the week leading up to the Trans Day of Remembrance, people come together to particpate in Trans Awareness Week. This week is dedicated to raising the visibility of transgender people, and to talk about issues that members of the community often face. From homelessness, to poverty, discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodation, and even to violence, trans and gender nonconforming people are forced to live lives where systems of injustice overlap. The week is set aside from November 13 to November 19.

We gained ground Tuesday – and we can’t slow down

Posted by: KFTC Staff on November 7, 2019

Congratulations, Kentucky – we chose a new governor! We did it by choosing each other ­– by having conversations with our neighbors about the issues we care about and by showing up together at the polls.

Governor-elect Andy Beshear’s campaign knocked on one million doors. Ally organizations engaged voters across the state. And more than 300 KFTC members and volunteers had conversations with more than 50,000 Kentuckians at their front doors, on the phone and at community events.

Together, we made an impact. And we can’t slow down.

Election Day is tomorrow. Here’s what you need to know.

Posted by: KFTC Staff on November 4, 2019

IMG_1714Tomorrow – Tuesday, November 5 – is Election Day in Kentucky.

This election will be close. If you’re eligible to vote, please make a plan to go to the polls between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Together, we can choose leaders who will show up with us and for us on issues that matter to Kentuckians, like health care, public education and voting rights.

To see what will be on your ballot, learn where candidates stand on issues, find your voting location, and much more, visit www.KentuckyElection.org

Members celebrate Northern Kentucky’s love for democracy

Posted by: KFTC Staff on October 24, 2019

Northern Kentucky members celebrated the voter registration period with a whirlwind of activity from September 28 through October 6!

NKY members learn of sustainability initiatives on tour

Posted by: KFTC staff on October 17, 2019

The Northern Kentucky Chapter hosted a Sustainability Tour in September with allies in Covington to learn about ways local communities are trying to promote sustainability.

Beshear and Bevin are tied in the polls. You can break that tie.

Posted by: KFTC Staff on October 16, 2019

IMG_1916According to a new poll released today, Andy Beshear and Matt Bevin are tied in the race for governor. You can break that tie.

One big take away from this poll is that KFTC's work is so crucial right now. While Bevin and Beshear are fighting over swing voters and turning out their bases, KFTC is helping to engage and turn out new voters – new voters that could make a decisive choice on election day.

But to do that, it will take all of us showing up. Will you volunteer with KFTC between now and election day? Sign up at www.WeAreKentuckians.org.

We registered over 2,500 voters!

Posted by: KFTC Staff on October 16, 2019

voters345353KFTC members relentlessly got out into their communities over the past few months to register their neighbors to vote door-to-door, at community events, and more.

The voter registration deadline was Monday, October 7.

In the end, we registered 2,560 voters!  Not only did we exceed our goal by over 500 voters, every region of the state hit or exceeded their goal!

We also recruited 4,841 people to sign petitions on various issues in that time and we did it all with 363 volunteer shifts by KFTC members like you!

Behind every one of those numbers are thousands of real people who we connected with.  People with stories who are just a little more empowered and connected to our Democracy because of that.   To see a gallery of pictures we took doing voter registration, look here!

Voting Rights work integrated with voter empowerment

Posted by: KFTC Staff on October 16, 2019

As the 2019 governor’s election looms close, KFTC members are continuing the fight to restore voting rights of people with felonies. The campaign is gaining momentum and getting stronger every week.

Here are a few highlights of recent work:

Page